How to Rock Your Plank Goals

Planks are something that we all try to avoid at the gym. Common thoughts that go on in my head while doing a plank: "This is the longest :30 seconds EVER!", "Am I done yet? (five seconds in)", "Why does my back hurt?", "Who thought of this?!", and my favorite, "Why am I even doing this?!"

I have always hated doing planks. I really do not know who would ever actually like them, but they are necessary in my book. When it comes to abdominal workouts, I always try to pick the easiest, fastest workout possible. I do my bicycles, v-sits and the dreaded plank until I can no longer breathe. I have been doing the plank since I took ballet classes in elementary school and I still do them today. When they are done often and correctly, they can and will shave off some of that extra stomach fat, or at least they have for me!

Recently, I got tired of doing the same thing with my planks, so I decided to change it up a little. I now do what I call a No Rest Circuit, which is combined with a normal plank for :30 seconds, rocking hips side-to-side for 16 reps, then I finish with another :30 second plank. I rest for :30 seconds then begin another set.

With each set, I increase or decrease the amount of reps and the length of time that I perform each normal plank. Planks are all about setting goals and working up to them. So start at :15 seconds or :30 seconds and continue to work up to your goal time and rep set.

Here are some pictures of what I mean by rocking your side plank. I will show the easier option, which is not touching your hips to the ground, but I recommend working up to it!

Step 1: Start in a plank position with your body straight.

















Step 2: While maintaining your plank pose, rock your hips to the left and touch the ground. My hips are not touching the ground to show an easier option.

















Step 3: While engaging your core throughout the exercise, come back to center.



















Step 4: Now rock your hips to the right. I am showing you the easier option, but try to touch the ground with your hip.
















Step 5: Return to center and continue until you have eight touches per side. Repeat three sets or mix in your :30 second planks in between.

Let me know how this works out for you! It has done wonders for my love handles and midsection of my abdominals! I think it is coke-shaped approved!

**Remember that I am not a doctor or trainer, just someone trying to get in to shape!

Happiness and Health,

Hannah

Comments

Popular Posts